Famous for its spectacular wall paintings, Claverley is a treasure trove of medieval artwork. While there has probably been a church in this location from the seventh century, the oldest part of the church dates from the twelfth. The west wall, parts of the north wall, and lower tower are Norman. The upper part of the tower was added in 1494. Parts of the original tower can be seen through the walls behind the current organ. The pillars in the nave are painted to look like dressed stone and consecration crosses can be found on the west wall and either side of the communion rails and indicate where the church has been expanded and been re-consecrated. Two fonts can be seen, one Norman the other Saxon, decorated in the Norman style.
The finest feature of the church is of course the wall paintings. More information about these can be found here [insert web address]. As well as the frieze of knights, keep an eye out for the tree and angel on the original south wall, the saints at the clerestory level and the bearded saint on one of the pillars.
The church is open from dawn to dusk every day of the week. Parking is on the road just outside the church grounds and it is then just a short walk through the churchyard to the main doors.
Get directions to All Saints, Claverley
All Saints, Claverley is part of the following heritage trails: