Situated in a perfectly serene part of the Shropshire countryside, St Michael’s is a Norman church with an array of surviving features, including the nave and lower chancel, the chancel arch, and even some surviving Norman windows. The decorated font is also Norman. A wall painting dating to c. 1200 on the west side of the chapel depicts an angel, enthroned king, and broad band of foliage scrollwork in a style identical to that used at Claverley, and it is presumed to have been painted by the same artist. The gabled chancel chapel is fourteenth century, though some think it dates from the thirteenth century as well, and the timber-framed south porch is late medieval. While the church is not used, it is maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Nearby Upton Cressett Hall is an Elizabethan red brick house dating to the late sixteenth century, encasing an earlier fifteenth-century timber house. For Open Days see http://uptoncressetthall.co.uk/
There is just about enough space to pull up on the grass verge in front of the church gate; however, it may be better to park at Upton Cresset Hall, which is just up the road. The church is off the beaten track and the road is narrow and winding, but passable. There is no paved area across the churchyard which would make access for wheelchairs difficult. The church is open.
Get directions to St Michael’s, Upton Cressett
St Michael’s, Upton Cressett is part of the following heritage trails: